We can’t talk about base coat without attaching mesh application. EIFS Base Coat adhesive is modeled to be used as an adhesive and base coat in EIFS stucco. It needs water only and will cure a long-lasting coating with the best bonding qualities. Also, the Dry-Mix balances to the Wet Base Coat used as a base to embed reinforcing mesh in several Systems and as a leveling coat for EIFS stucco. Are you new to EIFS stucco? You can read on the Complete Guide.
Base Coat Application
You should protect it from sun/water damage. When you expose the EPS board to sunlight for extended periods, a powdery film develops on the surface.
Additional safety at doors and windows is accomplished by applying
“butterflies” or small strips of mesh sideways at the sills and headers
before application of field mesh.
You can remove it by rasping. Now that we know this let’s look at the step-by-step to apply your base coat correctly.
Application at the corners
All inside and outside corners should have two(2) layers of mesh. This can
be accomplished in one of three(3) ways:
• Double wrap Mesh minimum 8“ (204mm) in each direction.
• Apply Corner Mat and overlap Mesh up to the corner.
•Also, apply Detail Mesh and overlap with Mesh minimum
8” (204mm) onto the adjacent wall.
Application at wall areas
Apply the base coat on the insulation boards in a coating approximately 1/8″ (3 mm) thick. Work vertically or horizontally in lines of
40” (1016mm). Also, instantly imbed the Mesh in the wet base coat.
Trowel off any additional base coat from the surface. You should embed the Mesh fully so that no mesh color is visible. Apply an extra base
coat if mesh color is visible and the base coat is dry. Do not butt mesh strips. Exist side-by-side the strip edges a minimum of 2-1/2″ (64 mm).
If the mesh is butted, it will result in cracks in the base and finish coats.
Feather the base coat at mesh extensions.
Coverage for base coat
1. When applying EIFS Base Coat adhesive as an adhesive using a 3/8” x 3/8” x 3/8” notched trowel to adhere enhanced polystyrene (EPS) insulation board to desirable substrates (70-80 sq/ft) per bag.
2. When applying EIFS Base Coat adhesive for the embedding of Reinforcing Mesh expect:
- 4.3oz = 130-140 sq/ft per bag
- 15oz = 90-100 sq/ft per bag
- 20oz = 70-80 sq/ft per bag
3. When applying as a leveling coat, coverage relies on the thickness applied.
Note that coverage may vary depending on the conditions of the applicator.
Mixing of base coat
Use a clean empty 5 gallon. Do not use a container that has come into contact with a petroleum-based product. 1. Empty the contents of 1 Dry mix EIFS BaseCoat adhesive. 2. Put in approximately 1 1/4 gallons of clean water per bag of Dry Mix BaseCoat. 3. Stir well with a drill mixer until a similar consistency is accomplished. 4. Let stand 5-10 minutes. 5. After the initial set , re-stir. Let stand 5-10 minutes.
Things you should know
• Do not apply to frozen surfaces or containing ice.
• Do not use if the ambient temperature or surface temperature is less than
13 ° C (55 ° F).
• Do not leave DUROCK Basecoat as finishing; it recommends
applying a sealer and finish.
• Do not apply basecoat on facades where there is a risk of getting wet
from the rain. Project the application to avoid the runoff and weathering
of the fresh product.
• Check the finishing so it will be consistent with the cement surfaces.
Store material in a cool, dry place. Avoid direct sunlight. Maintain
temperature above four(4) °C (40 °F).
Shelf Life should be up to 12 months under protected storage conditions.
Keep out moisture.
Avoid dew point conditions or excessive moisture.
After opening the bag, close hermetic as possible and stowing 60 packs maximum.
Acceptable practices we can follow
• Stir periodically during use to maintain a smooth, comfortable texture. The working time is about 3 hours.
• In hot and dry climates, you can moisten the surface of cement board
before applying a uniform layer to slow the drying duration of the compound and prevent possible cracks.
• The mesh should not be visible through the Basecoat.
• Maximum thickness proposed should be 3 mm. (1/8 “) across the
• Before the Basecoat is dry, you can sharpen the texture with a wet float.
To handle and correctly apply Basecoat, we recommend the following safety equipment:
• Mask to keep safe nose and mouth to prevent dust inhalation.
•Wear safety glasses for safety during application.
• Gloves, the alkalinity of the outcome can infuriate the skin if the contact is
• Hard hat, Steel-Toe boots, tool belt are some of the attachments expected
to work on-site.
Dust may irritate sights, skin, nose, throat, and upper respiratory
region. Avoid irritation by decreasing exposure to dust. Use in a well-ventilated area or give adequate local ventilation.
Follow these acceptable safety hygiene practices during installation. Also, wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
Now you know the process to guide you for installation. Hiring the right person would be ideal for you to use EIFS stucco. Sky Stucco Systems is a reliable installer of EIFS exterior stucco, architectural moldings, foundation parging, and repair in Toronto, GTA, and all over Ontario. You can learn more about EIFS and how they work here, or you can contact us for a free consultation.